Why Cognitive Accuracy?

In my view, the better question might be "Why NOT?" Why would I not work to adapt my actions and choices to reflect as accurately as possible the way the world seems to work?

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Daily Recalibration: Uncovering Preference

Most uses of the word "should" belie a preference on the part of the speaker, which the listener may not share. "Should" describes an imaginary world where we get our way all the time and always know the right answer with certainty.

"You should..." implies that what follows offers a kind of universal truth.

Stating a preference reveals who wants what: "I would like you to..." shows the locality of the preference, and of the underlying information on which it is based.

Short form: When I feel a "should" coming on, I will unmask the "want" it tries to conceal.

No comments: