Why Cognitive Accuracy?

In my view, the better question might be "Why NOT?" Why would I not work to adapt my actions and choices to reflect as accurately as possible the way the world seems to work?

Monday, September 15, 2008

Bias Analysis

I came across this very well-written and useful analysis of bias recently.

I especially like the article on "Superhumans", in which the author notes that we humans tend to behave as if we had super human powers, like senses that give us a direct and accurate picture of the world, or memory that does not distort and amend the events it purports to represent, etc.

An excerpt:
Quoting Tavris and Aronson (2007) Mistakes Were Made (but not by me):

Scientific reasoning is useful to anyone in any job because it makes us face the possibility, even the dire reality, that we were mistaken. It forces us to confront our self-justifications and put them on public display for others to puncture. At its core, therefore, science is a form of arrogance control.

How much more would we enjoy our lives if we simply accepted the incontrovertible fact of our own flawed humanity?

No comments: